Thursday, March 1, 2012

The Source of Satisfaction

Lately I have been in a place in my life where I am struggling to find satisfaction.  God is good, life is great but there is something deep within me that longs for something more.  Henry David Thoreau says it this way, 'The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation."  What a quote, huh?  Quietly desperate.  Desperate for more.  More of what? Who knows. Just desperate. 

Life seems so purposeless and mundane at times.  The routine of it all seems bleak. I long for the day when I can shed this desperation like old skin?  Where do I turn to find the satisfaction that I desperately long for.  Church?  Hobbies? Work?  Facebook? Movies? 

Not even close do these things come to satisfying the deep parts of our soul. These things are like layers of mediocrity compared to what we truly need. The surface of the ocean doesn't even come close to the beauty of what is underneath it.  I find myself spending so much time skimming the top of my life and never really understanding the beauty that lies underneath the surface of it.  

Satisfaction is not circumstantial.  It doesn't come based on whatever circumstance we find ourselves in. It has to come from a deeper place. A deeper source.

Enter stage right:  Jesus Christ.  Every single time I get to a place of quiet desperation I quietly find myself at the feet of the only one who can bring deep satisfaction.  It is then and there that my heart rests.  That I begin to hope again.  The surface becomes the deep. The source becomes the satisfaction.

Blessed are you who hunger now, for you will be satisfied. Luke 6:21

No comments:

Post a Comment