Monday, October 10, 2011

Joy in the Journey


I can remember one Christmas when our boys were little we decided to head out to Little Rock, Arkansas to go see Kristy’s family for the holidays.  So we met Kristy’s brother and sister, and their families, in Atlanta and decided to caravan out to the Mid-West together.  We piled 6 adults, 4 children, Christmas presents and every bit of our luggage into three minivans and took off.  Kristy and my sister-in-law were pregnant at the time so that made things very interesting to say the least.   

What should have been a two-hour trip from Atlanta to Birmingham turned into a five-hour ordeal.  We made 27 potty breaks and 13 carsickness stops before we even arrived into Alabama.My philosophy of travel is, “May the best mini-van win.”  When we get in the car we don’t need not stop for anything!  My goal is that of any Nascar driver, to beat the competition.

So this little joyful holiday expedition was not turning out in my favor and I was getting more and more frustrated with every stop we made.  What should have taken us nine hours actually turned into a fifteen-hour trip!

When we pulled into Little Rock I was dead tired and angry.  The pregnant ladies were mad with me because they couldn’t understand my lack of compassion for the ones who were carrying our children.  The nerve of them to be angry with me!  We made horrible time and I lost the race. Where was the compassion for me?

You know, I have to tell you something; a few days later after I had fully recovered from that pain-staking journey, I reflected back on the trip and quickly realized that the greatest thing about it was the traveling.  The hotels, Zach doing his thing on the side of the road because he couldn’t hold it any longer, the fellowship over the C.B. radios, the jokes, the food, everything!

I was looking for the end and I missed out on the joy of the journey.

So when it comes to our spiritual journey I think we constantly look for the end results all the while we are missing out on the best part.  The journey itself!  You and I have the best opportunity right now in this very moment to enjoy the best that Jesus has to offer. 

When we decide to focus on the end is when everything gets complicated and frustrating for us.  Jesus says it this way, “Walk with me and work with me – watch how I do it. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to love freely and lightly.” Matthew 11-28-30 (the message)   

The key to life is not getting to the end. It is simply enjoying the here and now.  It is possible for us to take so many things for granted when the blessing of living our lives is right in front of us.

W-Wait on His timing. God knows the plan He has for your life so just enjoy the journey leaving the results of the end up to God.
A – Allow for U-turns in your life.  Life can bring its share of curves and we must be willing to adjust our routes so they will line up with God’s will.
L – Lay your burdens down.  Proverbs 12:25 says, “An anxious heart weighs a man down.
K – Keep going.  Don’t stop walking in the reality of who God is in your life.  Trust His heart for your journey. Our lives are a marathon not a sprint.  If you need to rest, then rest.

Remember that the joy of life is in the journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment