Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Who's Carrying You


One of the greatest memories I have of being a new dad was carrying Zack around in a baby carrier.  This carrier was new to me. It attached to my chest and it allowed Zack to perch right up in front of me.  It was like a backpack with a kid in it. You know what I am talking about and if you are a parent you probably have one stuck up in your attic or closet somewhere. 

Zack loved this thing!  Without it, all he could see was the back of a stroller, but when daddy carried him in his new little buddy contraption he could see everything. Now I loved this handy dandy toy as much as he did.  Everywhere we went I had my ZackPack (that’s what I called it) with me.   If we went to the grocery store I wore it. If we were at the mall Zack was right there with me.  I carried him everywhere.  I enjoyed seeing his face light up at everything he saw.  I also enjoyed having him close to my chest.  It was an awesome thing for a new dad. 

Zack was too weak to walk but he wanted to experience life and I could tell that he experienced life to the fullest when dad was carrying him around in the ZackPack.

Did you know that God wants to carry you?  We are too weak to experience life by ourselves.  We might think we aren’t but in reality we are.  We cannot walk the path the Father has given us to walk without Him carrying us.

Deuteronomy says it this way;  The Lord your God, who is going before you, will fight for you, as He did for you in Egypt, before your very eyes, and in the desert. There you saw how the Lord your God carried you, as a father carries his son, all the way you went until you reached this place. Deuteronomy 1:30-31 (NIV)

God’s people had watched God carry them out of Egypt and deliver them from the hands of the Egyptian army at the Red Sea.  I would have to say on that day God fought for them and they won victoriously. 

As I have looked back over my life I have seen how God has carried me and fought for me. But what is still so sad is that at 39 years of age I still I think I am in control and can fight my own battles.   All of us have examples of when God has carried us through some disaster in our life. But just like the Israelites we forget easily and quickly how God has brought us through victoriously. 

We walk through life with some sense of control and when we reach the age of strength we begin to rely on ourselves. We tend to leave God out of that blend but in reality He is the one who has His hands on us from our first breath until our last.  He is the one that desires more than anything else to carry us and fight for us just like a father carries and fights for his child.

Although my baby boy didn’t realize it at the time, if he was going to move through life I had to be the one who carried him.  He didn’t realize his inability to do it on his own.  It is the same with us.  We think we can handle the battles, but we can’t.  Our Father wants us to recognize that He delights in carrying us.  I can’t remember whose smile was bigger when Zack was close to my chest, mine or his?

Who’s carrying you?  Let go and let God carry you.  You will go much further than you ever dreamed you could.

1 comment:

  1. THANKS TYLER I NEEDED THIS, IT WAS GREAT! GOD ALWAYS KNOWS WHEN WE NEED A MESSAGE AND WHAT KIND OF MESSAGE!

    ReplyDelete