Thursday, May 17, 2012

First Love

Do you remember your very first love?  You know...the one that made you fuzzy on the inside.  I remember mine well.  I was experienced at love when I fell for this beauty.  I was in the fourth grade and she was in the third.  We were so in love that we decided to spray paint our names on the street in front of my house.  Yeah...I know...it was true!  We were steady for 4 years.  Yes, 4 years!  But...by the eighth grade she had lost interest in me.  I knew something was up because we weren't sitting at the same lunch table anymore.  I remember the day well and I knew it was coming when I saw her beady eyed little friend approaching my table with a smirk on her face. Before I knew it this little monster was standing in front of me twirling her hair and smacking her gum. As she opened her venomous little mouth I braced myself for the pain. "She wants to break up with you today because you're to chubby."  Too chubby?  I mean yeah I had gained a little weight but that just crossed the line! She was throwing away 4 years of pure bliss over a couple of pounds? She did and in the blink of an eye it was over.

Needless to say my heart was broken and my first love was gone. Oh how my little chubby heart wept.  I'm over it now but it took awhile.

Why do we choose to walk away from our first love? I guess in my case "it" walked away from me. 

But when it comes to our spiritual journey listen to what Christ says;

"I know you are enduring patiently and are bearing up for My name’s sake, and you have not fainted or become exhausted or grown weary. But I have this one charge to make against you: that you have abandoned the love that you had at first, you have deserted Me, your first love. Revelation 2:3-4 (AMP)

You see, I work real hard at trying to do the right things.  I mean, I do good stuff for God so what am I missing? Doing good stuff FOR God is completely different than being WITH God.  I find myself walking closely to what appeals to my nature and not closely enough to what appeals to His nature and without realizing it I have quietly and rebelliously drifted away from my first love.  

As a follower of Christ do whatever it takes to return to your first love.  When you do you will be glad you did.





No comments:

Post a Comment