Thursday, May 3, 2012

How clean are the feet of those who betray us?

I had a thought this morning.  Yes, I know, some of you are shocked, but I think it is a legitimate thought.  Most of us know the story of Jesus washing the feet of His disciples right before going to the cross.  And most of us know that Peter had the biggest issue with it.  Peter's argument, I believe was two-fold.  #1:  Why would the most powerful man in the room stoop down and wash my feet? and #2:  I will have to model this behavior and it doesn't suit me.  I mean after all Jesus was the teacher, rabbi and master and Peter didn't like where this was going.

But my thoughts this morning turned to Judas, the one who ultimately betrayed Jesus.  Jesus knew him well.  He knew his motives and what he would do in just a few moments.  He (Judas) would get up from the table and set out to betray the One he had just spent three years with.

And Jesus washed his feet anyway.

John 13:12 says, and when He had finished washing THEIR feet, He put on His garment and returned to His place.  It doesn't say that He washed the feet of only the ones who were true to Him.  He washed the feet of ALL of His disciples including Judas.  Let that sink in for a minute.  Jesus washed the feet of the one who would betray Him.  Jesus knew what Judas was about to do and He served him anyway.

What a lesson in humility for me this morning.  In my heart, I know that I am able to serve and love those who will serve and love me back.  However, I can't seem to wrap my mind around serving and loving those who won't return the favor, much less the people in my life who betray me.  If someone betrays me once then shame on them but if someone betrays me twice then shame on me, right?

I have a long way to go in what unconditional love must look like in my life.  I mean, Jesus must have known that I too would betray Him, but made the decision to serve me anyway.

The ultimate form of service, on a cross, laying His own life down to ransom mine. How many times have I looked into the face of Jesus and said, "No thanks" as His unconditional love said, "That's ok Ty. One day you will understand."

Jesus replied, "You do not realize now what I am doing, but later you will understand." John 13:7

No comments:

Post a Comment